Monday, July 4, 2011

Celebrating Independence as Freedom From Fear

 Independence as Freedom of Choice
Independence Day is a cause for self-reflection.  While I don't necessarily think of myself as patriotic (I've never owned an American Flag), its hard for me to miss the true meaning of this day.  Our great country was started by free thinking individuals who clearly understood they had the freedom of choice.  They could choose control and dependency on an oppressive government, or they could choose the freedom of independence and self-sufficiency.  Our country's first leaders created for themselves and for us, an opportunity to live in peace, to live with the freedom of choice to think as we choose, to live as we choose, to live within a society that supports our freedom, both as a collective in citizenship and as individuals.  The macrocosm of our free, American society is a reflection of our internal freedom of choice, as our internal microcosm of our thinking mind.  We are designed to be free within our own self, as we are within our country.  Are you living your internal design of freedom?

Independence and Freedom VS Fear and Control 
Independence Day is a day to reflect on the level of independence we have chosen to live within our mind and our loving emotional self.  Are you living your individual independence and freedom, or are you living with fear, as your ultimate self-control?  Most people live with internal warring behavior, as reflected externally in our warring world.  This is an ego-spirit tug of war as fear vs love.  It plays itself out in our thoughts as:

* I'm happy with myself /I'm not good enough
* I want to do this/I can't do this
* I love myself/ I need someone else to love me
* I feel equal/I am better (or not as good) as they are
* I feel as healthy as can be/I'm afraid of developing cancer
* My business is doing great!/How in the world am I going to pay my next bill?

Do any of these conflicting thoughts feel familiar?  These are the thoughts of a mind controlled by fear.  When we are in fear, we are unable to live the freedom and independence that is part of our inherent design.  Being controlled by fear isn't always apparent.  It may require some self-assessment.  Here are a few questions that have helped me see the level of my own internal fear that keeps me from living my true freedom and independence.  Maybe they'll help you too.

* Are there areas of your life where you feel stuck?
* Do you have things you want to do but resist doing them?
* What would you do in life if you had no fear?
* Is your life everything you want it to be?
* Do your dreams seem like impossibilities?

Independence is our Birthright
Fear is the only thing that keeps us from living the life we desire, rich with peace, joy, and abundance on every level.  Fear is a completely irrational emotion.  We are designed to live with our loving emotions integrated with our thinking mind.  In other words, we are designed to think with love, not with fear.  Healing the fear allows us to create the freedom and independence that is our inherent birthright.  It allows us to live with love, as our true design as human beings.

As Americans and as human beings, we deserve to live our true freedom and independence.  Today is the perfect day to reflect on how you can live them with greater intensity.  For me, I'm going to make the conscious choice to allow the energy of love to guide me through my life, and allow love to heal my fear and create my internal world of freedom and independence.

I'd love to hear how you will choose to live your internal freedom and independence.    

Happy Internal Independence Day!

            

4 comments:

Steve Hand said...

Interesting dichotomy. It is the land of the slash that holds all the answers, I think. For instance, between "I want to do this" and "I can't do this" is the all-empowering question "How can I do this?" Exploring that question is the path (imho) to independence and can be applied to all of the areas you note.

Carole Hoffman said...

Steve, The "How to" often becomes apparent when the cloud of fear that controls our mind lifts. That is when we gain clarity and we can finally hear/see/feel our internal guidance, which the fear had been shutting out. This is how I've experienced it.

Anna Khonda said...

An old sage, Mrs. Johnson, once told me that the path to true happiness was through eating good bread. Do you agree, and if so, how would you select from the myriad of choices that abound?

Carole Hoffman said...

Hi Anna,

When it comes to bread, go for the whole grain variety. Wheat bread is only very slightly better then white bread, if at all. Its still a simple carbohydrate, which turns to sugar in your body. Cancer feeds on sugar. Whole grain bread is a healthy, complex carbohydrate. It is much higher in nutritional value. But even then, its always good to limit your intake of bread. These are just my thoughts. I'm not a nutritionist.

Thanks for commenting.